Saturday, October 5, 2013

Midterms

I can't believe it is already mid semester. I feel like I have learned so much. It also feels like we have to read about 3 books a week, which isn't really that far off. I am ALWAYS reading. The fun thing about the reading though is that they are books I actually WANT to read.

It has been nice to get in the swing of my week. I know what to expect everyday with my schedule, which is really nice. It has started to look like this:

Monday: Observe in a school for 1-3 hours in the AM, Laban movement class in the evening
Tuesday: Work at the NYU Box office in the morning/afternoon, modern class in the evening
Wednesday: Work at the NYU Box office again in the morning/afternoon, methods and literacy classes in the evening.
Thursday: FREEDOM ALL DAY (which really means do homework and run errands all day), teaching performance of dance class in the evening
Friday: Kaleidoscope company in the morning, then a networking class in the afternoon.
Saturday: Teach dance in the morning, have my piano lesson right after, then go to NYU for rehearsal in the afternoon, evening and night is free (which again means homework, and catch up on sleep)
Sunday: DAY OF REST. I try to not do any homework on Sunday and give my brain and body a complete day of complete rest from school and dancing. It's pretty wonderful.

My dad came to visit a few weeks ago from Utah. It was so fun to have him in town and show him what my life looks like here. He was able to see my apartment, school, box office, and some other things around town. We walked the High Line park in Chelsea, the Brooklyn Bridge, toured the NYU rehabilitation center (mostly for him to meet his fellow admin directors located at NYU location), check out 5 pointz, and eat some yummy food.

I have also been able to see some great entertainment so far this semester too. Zach and I where able to get cheap tickets through NYU box office and see an off-broadway show, Peter and the Starcatcher (it won 5 tony's). It's the prequel to Peter Pan. The story explains how Peter got his name, how Captain Hook lost his hand, where the mermaids came from, etc. It was the funniest play I have ever seen. I was literally crying I was laughing so hard, to the point where it was embarrassing. Each character had their own personality and the actors did an amazing job at playing with those and it was hilarious. If anyone gets the chance to see it, I highly recommend it.

We also were able to attend the Global Citizen's Festival in Central Park. Zach had to do some things online to earn the tickets, (like donate $ to the rainforest, sign some petitions, etc) but we were able to go for free! The lineup was Kings of Leon, Alicia Keys, John Mayer, and Stevie Wonder. There were special guests there too. Bono, Will.i.am, Olivia Wilde, and some pretty important political people from Africa (Africa's first woman president was there, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf). Since this was on a Saturday it was after waking up early to teach, take piano, and going to rehearsal, so to say I was tired at the festival is an understatement. I found myself sitting on the grass while everyone around me was standing, because my body was so fatigued.

With that being said I have actually noticed that my body has gotten SO much stronger since the start of the semester. I am doing things in class where I think, oh boy, I won't be able to move tomorrow, but then I wake up the next day and I can, and I am fine! I am loving the strength this program has given me, mentally and physically.

Oh, and one more thing. I have started a GoFundMe account to start saving some money for my upcoming trip to Uganda. Take a look at it here: Uganda

Well, that's all I have time for to post. I am currently in between teaching and going to rehearsal. I have just enough time to make some lunch and head into Manhattan. I am so happy with what I am doing and couldn't think of being anywhere else right now, but here and doing what it is I am doing.

Oh, and BEST NEWS OF ALL... my dearest and best friend Lauren Stanek just recently got engaged! I am so happy for the love she will share with her wonderful FIANCE, Nyle, for the rest of their lives! They are currently living the dream in Chicago. I love you Stan!

Me and Lauren Stanek are the blondes of our group. 
Sarah, Lauren Drolett, Lauren Stanek, me



Short video I made for fun to get used to iMovie. I'm hoping to make a dance reel soon so this is just a warm up. 


Dad at 5 pointz in Queens

Brooklyn Bridge

 Outside of a building at NYU where most of my classes are held.

Washington Square Park, pretty much what NYU's quad would be, if we had one.

 Dad snapped this picture of me in class.

Lunch under the Brooklyn Bridge. There was a food festival going on in DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass) so we were able to each get something different, and it was all SO good.

 Walking the High Line park.

 Peter and the Starcatcher

 Global Citizen's Festival

One of the school's where I put in some observation hours

No comments:

Post a Comment